Invented by Craft’s own Jacob Kudrna, this cocktail uses British produce, reflecting the winter season. Using homemade blackberry liqueur, this is a mix of jammy sweetness and bitter orange, making it a delicious, lightly spicy, winter warmer.
Ingredients for the blackberry liqueur
– 1kg blackberries
– 1kg caster sugar
– 1L vodka
- De-stem and wash the blackberries, then blitz them on high speed until they have a puree consistency.
- Split the mixture into two sealable jars, filling each to just below the halfway mark. This ensures the mixture has room to breathe, as the process creates a lot of gas while fermenting.
- Leave for 24 hours, and then stir the mixture to allow it to breathe. Wait another 24 hours before stirring again.
- After another 24 hours, add 500g of the sugar to each jar and stir again thoroughly.
- Leave the mixture for a day and then stir again.
- After a final 24 hours, add 500ml of the vodka to each jar and stir.
Ingredients for the Gaelic Thorn
– 25ml blackberry liqueur
– 25ml Compass Box Whisky, Great King Street Glasgow Blend
– 10ml Campari
– 5ml lemon juice
– 5ml honey syrup
- Pour all ingredients into a glass, stir for roughly 40 rotations and then serve in a coupette. No garnish necessary.